Jesus Followers Urge the U.S. to Refrain from Military Action in Syria
Christians, following the Prince of Peace, make strong statements in opposition to military intervention in Syria:
- A joint statement from the faith community coordinated by Friends Committee on National Legislation.
- Pax Christi International says, "Dialogue is the only way towards an end of violence in Syria."
- Sojourners asks that we use our moral compass to guide our moral outrage.
- The Mennonite Church USA has issued statements here and here.
- The Presbyterian Church, USA calls for a time of peacemaking: "Now—for Syria and all its neighbors—is the time to seek a new vision of cooperation and nonviolence that will support an intervention with the power of impartial justice that will lead to a just and lasting peace."
- ESA co-President signed onto a letter spearheaded by the United Church of Christ and Disciples of Christ and co-signed by many denominational leaders, including the Franciscans: "We urge you to refrain from the provision of military assistance to forces involved in the conflict in Syria. Military involvement will only further escalate an already brutal war and will, in fact, undermine the prospect of negotiations to ensure a just and sustainable future for all Syrians."
Has your denomination or church signed a letter or taken other action against military intervention in Syria? Share it with us in the comments.