Redeemer God, Heal Our Hearts
A prayer for sexual, relational, and spiritual wholeness
Dear Lord in Heaven,
We come before you sorrowfully acknowledging that our broken sexuality does not emerge out of a vacuum but is born out of our sinful hearts. Knowing this, we come to ask you—our gracious King and Redeemer—by your mighty and righteous right hand, to reach down to heal the hearts of men, women, and young people everywhere:
- heal us from the lust that lures us to turn others into mere instruments for our gratification;
- heal us from the captivating pull of pornography and the destructive fantasies it propagates—fantasies that rape our minds, pillage our relationships, groom us to use and exploit others, substitute violence for passion, and promise pleasure but yield a harvest of emptiness, loneliness and despair;
- heal those who make pornography—give them eyes to discern truth, turn their darkness into light, make known to them the path of life, show them the wonders of your great love;
- heal those used in pornography—restore them in body, mind and spirit, restore to them the years the locusts have eaten, spread your protection over them, surround them with your favor as with a shield;
- heal those who use pornography—break the spiritual strongholds in their hearts and minds, set them free from the bondage of their addictions, draw them out of deep waters, rescue them from their enemy, bring them into a spacious place, clothe them in your robes of righteousness;
- heal your Church—heal it from self-righteousness, hypocrisy, complacency, and apathy, make it light unto the peoples, a refuge for the sexually broken and wounded.
Lord, remove our transgressions from us, redeem our lives from the pit, crown us with love and compassion, satisfy our desires with good things. Thank you for your boundless mercy and unfailing, lavish love; we praise you and give glory to your name. Amen!